Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Firefly

Firefly (3229 Highway 7 East, First Markham Place, Markham, Ontario)
905-479-6188

I know this place as the Chinese place that offers various combos in the $10 - $30 range. There are various meat options such as steak, pork cutlets, fish, and lobster. On their many menus, I noticed that they really try to promote the lobster dishes.


Most of the combos come with a bun and a choice between two soups. It's usually either the red vegetable soup or the cream soup.
I like that the bun has the shiny top and is slightly sweet. It is also served semi-warm. The soup had enough stuff in it to fill me up, but the beef pieces were kind of hard and some pieces felt like I was eating twigs.

Salmon in pesto cream sauce.
The sauce is more like a cream sauce with dill. Lots of dill. The sauce is fine and I think it goes well with the salmon. Though the filet looked super dry on the naked side, it was actually only the outside that was crusty. The bit of moisture had been sealed in, which I found was pretty nice. The salmon wasn't mouth-watering, but it wasn't as dry as I thought it'd be. The vegetables were not seasoned and tasted a little bland/healthy. I did, however, appreciate the fact that they were not mushy.

Table bell. I love these things. They're so much easier to use than trying to flag people down for service.

After 9:30 p.m., a siu yeh menu is available where there is a small list of cheap eats. Josie asked for this menu and ordered the thick Hong Kong style French toast with peanut butter. The outside was crunchy, and the inside carbs had turned yellow from eggy-ness. 

Would I return? Sure, but maybe not anytime soon. There are a lot of cheaper options in the same plaza and I don't need to have too much of this.

Total damage for my food: $18.

No comments:

Post a Comment