Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chingu Korean BBQ

905-763-0620

Hours:
Mon - Thurs 11:30 a.m - 3 p.m., 5:30 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
Fri - Sun 11:30 a.m. - 3 p.m., 5:30 p.m. - 1 a.m.


There are a lot of appetizers.

They have pork belly. It looks like super fatty bacon.



What's also nice is that on the all-you-can-eat menu, you can even get pork bone soup (and kimchi or miso soup)
The meat fell off the bone, and though it wasn't fancily decorated, I quite enjoyed it. There were little peppercorn(?) balls that gave it a bit of a kick.

There was a huge sign on the front window advertising Tiger beer, so we had to try it.
It went extremely well with the barbecued meat. As a drink on its own, I thought it was okay but nothing out of the ordinary. 

Red bean and green tea ice cream.
The ice cream was very milky. There were chunks of red bean in the ice cream (as opposed to having ground up bits in it).

Would I return? Yes. This place has changed quite a bit since I last went. For one, I think it's now Korean owned. The service is a lot better than the other nearby "Korean" BBQ joints. They change the grill for you quite often (we counted more than five times during our meal) so you don't get that carcinogenic black layer on your food. The servers checked up on us frequently, asking us if we wanted more items. They were friendly and efficient. 

I really like the way they marinate their beef. Oh, and they provide large chunks of lettuce so that you can make wraps. They also provide chopped seasoned lettuce that's supposed to also go inside the wrap. We thought it was a bit weird putting lettuce in lettuce, but altogether with the meat it tasted really good.

We didn't go for the deluxe column which was also all-you-can-eat and offered additional chef specialities such as dumplings and other items that I can't remember. I liked that they still had pork bone soup on the lower end AYCE column. 

It should be noted that a 15% gratuity is automatically charged if you order off the AYCE columns. I think that's fair because I noticed that one server was working extra hard, scraping our food onto a new grill each time she changed it. All that with a smile was pretty impressive.

Prices are more expensive during the weekend, but I think they're still reasonable for what you get.

Total damage: $18.99 for the all-you-can-eat and I don't remember how much the beer cost + tax + tip.
I think weekday price is $16.99. Deluxe menu is $3 more.

No comments:

Post a Comment