Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Live to Eat

Galaxy Dim Sum and Seafood (350 Highway 7 East)
We meant to go to Jade Dynasty on the other side of the building, but it had sale signs on its windows. According to Mel and Casey, Galaxy is under new management, and the food quality seems higher now. Casey has said that dim sum restaurants can be judged by how good their staple dim sum dishes are. Well, the har gows were pretty large here. They were stuffed with shrimp and quite tasty.



Congee, rice noodle rolls (beef and shrimp), tripe, bak choi with garlic, fried white radish cakes, chicken (I think):
I think they call this the thousand layer cake:
Viv said that the orange stuff in between the layers is papaya. Simon said it was pork fat, but we all think that his parents tricked him into believing that when he was little so that it'd justify them not ordering it.

Deep fried ball of something meaty with vegetables:
Don't ask me exactly what's inside it, but it's pretty good.

Fried dough-like substance with honey.
I'm not really a huge fan of Chinese desserts. I was expecting them to be crispy, but maybe they were soaking in honey for too long.

This doesn't really look that appealing, but this is one of the more acceptable desserts:
It's fried sesame ball with black sesame paste inside. I like the ones with nothing inside as well, but I can't read Chinese, and I can't translate what it's called in Chinese to what it would be described as in English so I can't order it.

Random note: The bowls and cups weren't the traditionally shaped Chinese restaurant china. The bowl sort of had a small handle, and the tea cups were more like coffee cups. After an initial quizzical eyebrow raise, the dinnerware had no effect on my dim sum experience.

Overall, the food quality was pretty good; however, I didn't like that they gave us three different types of tea and charged us a tea fee. Who charges for tea?

Damage: $13.50 per person including tax and tip.

Without looking at the bill, I was pretty accurate by using my superior probability statistics to estimate a total of $12-13 per person.

Renée and I each got a medium bag of Kernels popcorn at the Markville afterwards. With SPC, it's buy one medium, get one free.

My buffalo wings flavoured popcorn:
Renée's cheesy dill:
I should have ordered cheesy dill.

Damage: 2 medium bags of popcorn for $6, thus $3 for mine.

Feeling a little full of unhealthiness, we hit up Loblaws in search of fruit. We got what we thought were white flesh peaches.
Two of the four that we purchased turned out to be regular peaches:
Thumbs down to being tricked by the pile of mixed peaches with one sign. Having said that, the peach that I had was the best of quality from our sample - no bruises, no discolored flesh, no scratches or scuff marks. Maybe we just don't know how to pick peaches. Casey knows how to pick oranges though because those were quite sweet.

All that eating, and it was about dinner time. We headed to St. Louis. I didn't feel like having chicken wings so I got the beer battered cod fillets. They were actually pretty good, and I was satisfied with my pick. I had to order some of their dill sauce though because that tartar sauce just wasn't doing it for me.

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

The medium wings that Mel, Casey and Andrea had were said to be too dry. The potato skins they had received disappointing comments, but the onion chips seemed okay. Renée seemed pleased with her honey garlic wings and Simon cleared his Philly cheesesteak. Everyone agreed that the fries were pretty damn good.

Damage: $8.95 for the fish, and $0.75 for the dill sauce. These prices don't include tax or tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment