Saturday, March 14, 2009

Ackee Tree

Ackee Tree (170 Spadina Avenue, Toronto)

The restaurant is just north of Queen on Spadina. Right when I walked in, I was greeted by a large painting of a cartoon penguin. I like penguins. The feel of Ackee Tree is very comfortable. It's not stuffy or fussy, and I really like how it's casual. The space isn't very big, and it has some interesting artwork for sale on the walls. The place is dimly lit, and it sort of made me feel like I was sitting in my living room at home. Maybe that's just because I was facing the wall, and not the cash register beside the display of bottled drinks on a bed of crushed ice.

I started off with a ginger beer.
Jon was pretty on the ball when he said it tastes like Sprite with ginger. I'll have to try the Kola champagne next time.

Medium Jammin' Jerk Chicken with rice and beans and coleslaw:

I've never had jerk chicken before, but I think I like it. It was a bit spicy (spicy enough to make Sheila and Jon sweat, but not spicy enough to make my nose run) and very moist. The skin of the meat was definitely where all the flavour was located. Bonus points to this place for meat that just slides off the bone. I'm used to fluffier rice, but it wasn't bad. The slaw wasn't overly dressed with mayonnaise, and it had a good crunch to it. Sheila appreciated its refreshing features, but that's probably just because she can't really eat spicy foods. 

Jerk fries:
Good flavour. Decent texture.

Overall:
I'll have to remember to just say no to sides next time. If that was a medium plate of jerk chicken, I think a large would knock me out. I was pretty slow and lethargic walking out of there.

I forgot to record the damages. Next time. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment