Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mamacita

Mamacita (2317 Chestnut Street, San Francisco, USA)
415-346-8494

I really did my research on this one. I wanted to have good Mexican food in San Francisco, and I really tried hard to find one of the better ones. I think all my internet research paid off. The restaurant was not only full when we went, but other people were also already waiting outside for a table. When there was finally room for us, we had to share a table, which actually wasn't so bad. The whole place was packed and loud, but we managed to get the table in the back where it was significantly easier on my old people ears.

Margarita from the pitcher we ordered.
Clearly alcoholic. Maybe it's me, but I feel like restaurants in the states add significantly more alcohol to their drinks than in Canada. That being said, it tasted pretty good to me.

Complimentary tortilla chips and guacamole
We were surprised with how good these were. This was a bonus for us because we were going to actually order this.

We cleared it good.

We each picked a starter and a taco dish and shared everything.

Casey's pick: camaron "sliders".
These weren't bad, but they weren't my favourite of the night.

My pick: ceviche verde.
This was my favourite starter. I really liked the green citrus salsa with the seafood. It's a good mix, seafood and lime.

Jess's pick: nuestro ceviche.
This was also pretty good, but I don't think it was as exciting as my ceviche verde. 

Jess's pick: yellowtail "borracho".
These were interesting. I remember being satisfied with it as I ate one. (FYI: "borracho" means drunk.)

My pick: carne asada.
I'm not trying to toot my own menu-item-picking skills, but I think this was my favourite of the three taco dishes we ordered. The steak tasted really good with the sauce.

Casey's pick: ... I don't remember what this was anymore.

Menu

So full of people! That is usually a sign of a good restaurant.


It's a good thing there was three of us. All the portions came in threes. 

Would I return? Yes. The food looked nice, the place seemed popular, I liked the steak tacos, the margaritas are nice and strong, and those were some good complimentary tortilla chips with guacamole.

Total damage for all our food and a pitcher or two of margarita: $121.81 USD. 

Thanks to Jess for taking the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment