Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Korbel

Korbel (13250 River Road, Guerneville, Sonoma County, California, USA)
Wine shop: 707-824-7316
Delicatessen: 707-824-7000
Wine tour hours: 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. daily
Tasting room hours: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily
Delicatessen hours: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily.

They call it California champagne, but legally, they're really not allowed to label it as such. Only champagne from France can be called champagne. Everything else is just sparkling wine.




Here's something interesting about the Korbel winery: the tour, which includes a tasting of four of their wines, is free.

They make brandy, too.

















Tasting #1: Natural.


I like.

Tasting #2: Blanc de noirs.
Not a huge fan.

Tasting #3: Sec.


I don't remember...


Tasting #4: Sweet rosé.

It's feels a bit gimmicky, but it tastes quite nice.







Korbel Delicatessen & Market



Mimosa ($5 USD)
It was okay, but I think the orange juice actually ruins the flavour of the "champagne".

My prosciutto sandwich ($7.50 USD)
It was okay and had a decent amount of meat.

Jess's sandwich and mango salad.
There was mango in there?

Casey's BBQ pulled pork sandwich.
Casey's sandwich was way more exciting than any of our food.

Casey joined the wine club and paid for three shipments for the year. He also gets discounts on any other purchases in the wine shop.



There are lots of other wineries in the vicinity, but we didn't have time for any others.

It should be noted that if you go on the tour, they don't let you have any more tastings (free or otherwise) in the tasting room. We found this strange because that tasting room was packed with people right after our tour, but so empty before it. Also, had we not gone on the tour, we would have been entitled to four free samples of our choice each. This was discovered when the lady behind the counter was about to give us a sample, but our tour guide stopped her. After seeing my disappointed face (because I wasn't there to get drunk, but I just really wanted to try before I buy), the lady let us have one free sample anyway. Good thing too, since it gave me insight on which wines I was going to purchase.

Free tour. Free samples. It's a pretty good visit. If I return, I'll skip the tour and just try the wines that I want to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment