Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pastel

647-352-5588
Hours:
Tues - Thurs: 2 p.m. - 11 p.m.
Fri - Sat: 12 p.m. - 12 a.m.
Sun: 2 p.m. - 11 p.m.

I didn't even want cake at the time, but their display of desserts trampled on my self-discipline. Another enticing feature was the photo album of their menu we were handed. The pictures and descriptions made almost everything look like I should've been craving it.


Frozen banana chocolate drink
This looked like a right chocolate milkshake when it was put down in front of me. To be honest, the first sip tasted like the banana medicine from when I was a kid. Outside of the association I had given it with being sick, it was enjoyable. It tasted like there was definitely some real bananas in there, but the chocolate was subtle. It was quite filling, and could've easily been a meal for me.

Coffee mousse cake.
Their cakes are from Rahier Pâtisserie. I approve. They look elegant and taste fancy too. I really like coffee chocolate flavour combinations because the slight bitterness of coffee usually cuts the sweetness of the dessert. Inside, distinct layers (including a cakey layer) can be seen and noticed. I was very satisfied with this.

Jo's brownies and bananas crêpe. It included a free coffee or tea.
She opted to substitute the cookies and cream ice cream in the description for cappucino ice cream. She liked that the crêpe was thin, and found the plate quite filling... even though I ate a third of it. I prefer crêpes that are slightly crispy and browned, but this was passable. I think the ice cream substitution was a smart choice because it was awesome. It had full nuts (I think they were pecans) in it as well. 

Would I return? Yes. This place can get packed in the evenings, but that's usually a good sign. The cakes look really appetizing (Jo kept saying how the apple tart looked amazing) and I liked mine. Though Jo isn't a fan of savoury crêpes, she did mention how good they looked as the guy was making them for the other table. The staff is incredibly polite and approachable, and the interior design looks really clean. One wall looks kind of cool with its vertical tubes texture. There's a cute patio area with bright green chairs and small tables for those who wish to people watch on Yonge Street. 

Free parking is available, but it looks a bit complicated.

Total damage: $11.50-ish each.

No comments:

Post a Comment