Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hot Toddy

I've been quietly sick with a sore throat and random coughing for most of the month of August. For the past week or so, it turned into violent fall-to-the-ground coughing fits with runny nose, chest congestion, wheezing, and minimal sleep. If you have these symptoms, go see a doctor. I would, but I still think I'm invincible. Because I'm so stubborn, I started downing some hot toddies after realizing that they could shut my cough up at least for a little while (most of the time).

Ingredients:
-lemon juice
-honey
-whiskey

This recipe calls for heating the lemon juice and honey to a slow boil, then adding some rum or whiskey after the mixture has cooled. I tried that, but it took too much work. Instead, I've been putting the ingredients into a cup, and adding boiling water to it. 



Depending on how much of each ingredient I add, it can taste like anything from sweet liquor to cough syrup to a soothing drink. 

I don't think this is effective in treating the illness as I've run out of honey once, I'm almost finished the whiskey, and I'm down to two lemons from a 3lb bag. But you know, it tastes pretty good sometimes and more often than not it shuts up the cough long enough for me to eat some food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment