Sunday, May 9, 2010

Big Mouth Kee (with alcohol)

905-881-8821

Big Mouth Kee is quickly becoming a regular place for me. Its cheap lunches and night-time dishes are great wallet savers. The restaurant is open late at night and they serve alcohol.

Nigori crème de sake ($18).
Served chilled. It had a nice sweetness to it that made it easy to drink. 

Josie made a face when she saw that the first ingredient was water.

X.O. sauce fried rice noodle rolls.
We didn't find this dish particularly spicy. (X.O. sauce is supposed to be spicy.) I actually thought that it went well with the sauce from the clam dish.

Clams
These were pretty good. They come swimming in thick sauce that would've gone very well with plain white rice.
Tsingtao beer ($4.50).
This is the first time that I've tried this Chinese beer. It was really light tasting, and reminded me of Coors. It tastes a bit like nothing.

Molson Canadian ($4.00)
I had to return to what I knew.

The name for this was really weird. It wasn't any more descriptive in Chinese than it would have been in English had there been English on the siu yeh menu.
It wasn't bad. The squid wasn't too overdone, and the taro (?) pieces had just enough bite. It was just a bit on the small side.

Would I go back? Yeah. The food is cheap enough and most of it is decent. Their alcohol might not be the cheapest, but they're open late.

Total damage: $33 for 2 beers, 1/2 sake, and my share of the food split among 3 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment