Thursday, November 5, 2009

Marché Jean-Talon

Marché Jean-Talon (7070 avenue Henri-Julien, Montréal)
514-937-7754
info@marchespublic-mtl.com
Hours:
Mon - Wed, Sat: 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Thurs, Fri: 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Sun: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Not only can you find things like fancy fair trade teas at this speciality store, but they had an interesting selection of wines as well. I found maple alcoholic beverages on the site, but when I was in the store, I discovered something called ice cider. I think it might be a uniquely Quebecois thing. They had several brands of this ice cider, but this bottle looked the nicest to me:
Outside the store, they sell roasted peanuts.

This bakery was really busy. It's so busy that you have to take a number to order cakes. It seems that you line up normally for breads.
Almond croissants:
I had planned to buy some almond croissants when we left Jean-Talon market, but when we returned to the bakery, they were sold out.

I did manage to purchase and consume this elaborate pear concoction ($4.46 total), though.
It was really good and not overly sweet. It tasted delicate. The layers included a cake, pear mousse, and caramelized pear chunks at the bottom. All the ingredients were neatly contained in a chocolate cup. My only gripe was that the bottom of the chocolate cup was really difficult to separate from the piece of cardboard.
Sheila thought that the clear chunk on top was plastic, and I thought that the brown stick was chocolate. It turns out that the clear piece was sugar, and the brown one was vanilla bean.

To clarify:

Meat on a stick!
On the left is Sheila's bison, and on the right is my stag ($1 each):
The stag was so moist that when I bit into it, a spray of meat juice shot out in projectile motion. I was incredibly lucky that no one was in front of me. That being said, the meat tasted really good!

Next, there was agneau (lamb), sanglier (boar) and canard (duck).
Unfortunately, I forget which one is which in the picture.

Crêperie du marché

My something and cheese crêpe with maple syrup + coffee ($10, including coffee):
I can't remember what the "something" was anymore (either spinach or ham), but I do remember enjoying the combination of sweet and salty in the dish, and really appreciating the crispy edges. I was really happy that it didn't taste like pancake.

Sheila's mushroom and ham with béchamel sauce crêpe ($10):


Cupcakes!


Samosa ($1.50):
It was really filling, very crispy, and pretty spicy. It was very satisfying.


No comments:

Post a Comment