Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bier Markt

Bier Markt (600 King Street West, Toronto)

The Wild Game Feastivül (Nov. 4- Dec. 6) was on at the Bier Markt, and me and Jess got sucked into the restaurant with the help of some strategically placed signs outside of the building.

Alberta bison carpaccio ($10):
The meat was sliced super thin. The taste was similar to beef carpaccio, but Jess noted that the taste was "softer". It wasn't gamey even though I expected it to be so. I enjoyed the texture of the meat as well as the peppery seasoning on the edges of the bison slices.

Éphémère apple beer ($5.87):
The apple flavour seemed pretty subtle to me. It wasn't as exciting as the apple flavoured beer that I had at Beer Bistro. While eating my dinner, I wished that I had ordered a dark ale.

Nunavit caribou osso bucco ($25):
The celeriac purée tasted like mashed potatoes with extra grainy texture. Jess really liked the vegetables, but she said that she'd prefer a properly cooked steak over the caribou. The meat fell apart really easily, but it wasn't that moist. It was okay at first, but a bit hard to eat after a while. I would've liked more sauce to counter the chewy dryness of the meat. The entree was quite large, and I didn't manage to finish my plate.

As Jess said, this is a great place to bring someone you might not want to talk to because it is really loud and packed with people. I suppose it would also be suitable for friends who talk too loudly for quiet restaurants.

From this experience, I don't think I am a big fan of eating wild game. Well, not caribou at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment