Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Cafe & Steak House

Happy Cafe & Steak House (8392 Kennedy Road unit 6, Markham)

In the large plaza on Kennedy just south of Highway 7, there are Chinese restaurants abound. We decided to go for the one with the pleasant name.

The servers were surprisingly friendly. They even helped us with the daily specials that were only written in Chinese when they saw us struggling to read them. The specials come with soup, salad, main entree, drink, and dessert. I was delighted to find that the "extras" that came with the meal weren't half-assed like at some other establishments that offer similar deals.

Three soup choices were available: tomato vegetable, cream, and Chinese (vegetable, I think). I opted for the cream soup.
I have no idea as to what was actually in it, but I really liked it. It wasn't heavy, and it had an ever so slight sweetness to it. It was also really smooth.

The salad was a fruit salad, and we all seemed excited at the presence of dragon fruit. It's pretty much like tasteless kiwi, but I like it nonetheless.
Half a chicken in soy sauce with green onions and ginger. Served with rice.
I found this style of cooking the chicken to be pretty interesting and quite tasty. It's basically the same fixings normally served with Chinese steamed fish.

Ying yang tea:

The dessert was a type of sweet bean soup. It was sort of like red bean soup, but not really. I believe there were some potatoes in it too.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good deal for what you get. Also, I'm not sure if I'd be able to find servers that nice in another restaurant that serves similar food.

Total damage: $14.

No comments:

Post a Comment