Friday, November 20, 2009

Casa-Imperial Fine Chinese Cuisine Ltd.

Casa Imperial (4125 Steeles Avenue East, Scarborough)
416-756-2788

This was my first time experiencing overpriced dim sum (and having to pay for it). It's an experience, but it's probably not something I could afford to do regularly. Also, the wait for a table was pretty long and finding parking involved waiting for people to leave the restaurant.

The shrimp dumplings in the bottom left corner are what they call "super har gow":
It's just like regular har gow, but a bit bigger. They weren't that special, but at least they weren't bad.

I forgot what was in those triangular pastries. The "salad" that came with the scallops were really just a couple of melon balls.
The congee we ordered was pretty good. The good thing about it was that the server actually took the time to remove all the clam shells at the table before serving it to us.
Apparently, these Shanghai style meat dumplings had crab in them. I had no idea.

The something something soup was very nice. It was quite smooth in texture, and it came in a fancy bowl. Unfortunately, that bowl was quite small.
The egg tarts had swallow's nest in them. I thought that was unnecessary, and I would've been fine with regular old egg tarts; however, my friends at the table noted that the swallow's nest added a smoother texture to the filling.
The most exciting dish for me was the de-boned chicken wings. There weren't that many on the plate, but I was pleased that the hard work had been taken care of for me.

The outside of Casa Imperial looks like a house.
Casey mentioned that the paintings and chandeliers juxtaposed with the giant Chinese character was like a fusion of Eastern and Western styles. I thought it was more like confusion.
We joked that they basically took a regular dim sum menu and added abalone and swallow's nest to everything.



Along with the prices, the teapots and menus are also upscale.

Tea charge? WHAT? I didn't know that existed.

Before arriving at the restaurant, I had estimated that the dishes would be approximately $5 per plate. It might have been slightly higher than that.

Total damage: $26 per person.

To add some perspective, I usually spend no more than $20 on dim sum and I average around $10-15. The upper bound is usually reached when I go with big eaters who are hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment