Thursday, December 30, 2010

Katz's Deli and Corned Beef Emporium

416-782-1111
Hours:
Mon - Sat 8:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.



Corned beef sandwich and soup of the day (beef barley)

It was a bit confusing when first walking in. On the left, there was take-out, and on the right was the cafeteria style grab and go line. There were sides on ice that we walked by on the way to the meat slicers. It took a little while for the staff to slice the meat.

The sandwiches are a bit pricey at $7.95 for meat on rye, but they do serve a pretty large mound of meat on very little bread. The bread was soft on the inside and crispy at the edges, which was nice. The meat was okay, but I was expecting a little more out of my corned beef when the name of the place has "corned beef emporium" in it. The meat was a bit fatty, but I felt better about my sandwich when I saw that the meat in Sheila's smoked meat sandwich was almost all fat-coloured. The corned beef was warm and not too dry. The beef barley soup was... unmemorable. 

Sheila's Montreal smoked meat sandwich.

Would I return? Probably not by choice. It's definitely on the pricey side for cafeteria style deli sandwiches. Though it wasn't downright awful, it wasn't really amazing either. 

Total damage: $13.45 for my soup and sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment