Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Legal Sea Foods

Legal Sea Foods (The Prudential Center, 800 Boylston Street, Boston, Massachusetts)
Phone: 617-266-6800
Mon - Thu 11:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Fri - Sat 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
Sunday 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Not wanting to deviate from our itinerary, we decided on a seafood restaurant chain for our first meal in Boston. It was recommended to us by several people.
Mel, Casey, and Jess all thought that our server was a [insert expletive here]. I didn't notice any bad attitude from her, but I might've just been excited about seafood in Boston. They later said that she got better afterwards, thinking that she straightened out after we all ordered our own lobster.

I started off with a New England clam chowder.
It was good and chunky. I liked how the crackers hold up in the soup. Luckily for me, the same crackers are served everywhere else we ate in Boston, too.

Wanting to maximize seafood intake, we split twelve raw clams among the four of us. We ordered six Littlenecks ($6.95 USD) and six Cherrystones ($6.95 USD). The menu is a bit deceiving, since it states that raw clams are six for $6.95 and twelve for $9.95. When we received our bill, we discovered that the price for a dozen only applies if you order all the same kind. D'oh!
I've never had raw clams before, but I think I like them better than oysters. Speaking of which, the oysters that the rest of my table ingested didn't seem too impressive. Mel noted weird aftertastes.

Since it was our only planned activity, I wanted to stuff my face with lobster. I decided to go with the steamed 1.25-1.50 lb lobster. It came with my choice of two sides. I went for mashed potatoes and broccoli with cheese. Broccoli tastes much better when it's cut into manageable chunks for me. I had some oversized pieces.
The shell of the lobster was super soft, and I didn't need the cracker. The meat was also curiously easy to pick out of the shells. I didn't notice this on my lobster, but Casey kept mentioning that his had a weird layer of skin in between the meat and the shell that was inedible.

Jess didn't eat the clams in her lobster bake. I tried one, but I was a bit grossed out by the sand in it. I couldn't quite get it all off the meat even with rinsing. I guess the clams were better raw.

As a first meal in Boston, I thought this was pretty good.

This was just the beginning of our high cholesterol weekend!

Total damage: $43 USD for my lobster, chowder and my share of the raw clams.

No comments:

Post a Comment