Friday, August 21, 2009

Boston Backlog

Been a little behind with food posts, so without further ado, here's the best meal I had in Boston:

Atlantic Fish Company (761 Boylston Street, Boston, Massachusetts)
Tel: 617-267-4000
Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30 AM - 11:00 PM
Friday - Saturday 11:30 AM - 12:00 AM

The four of us walked into this restaurant and were asked if we had a reservation. We did not, and we were told that the restaurant was fully booked for another one to two hours. As we were debating whether or not to wait, the restaurant staff decided to tell us that if the next party didn't claim their reservation, we could have their table in fifteen minutes. It turned out to be less than a five minute wait before they seated us.

Unsure of whether or not to save room for dessert, we decided to ask our waiter for the dessert menu before ordering our main courses. He seemed amused by our request. That's how we roll. And of course, not wanting to waste time, we ordered starters while deliberating over which mains to pick. That is also how we roll.

By this meal, I felt that I had enough clam chowder on the trip. So I went with a cup of crab bisque.
My initial thought was, "It tastes very... crabby." And I meant that in the best possible way. That is good stuff, and I wish I had some now.

My eating buddies went with the tower of seafood for four. They were way more impressed with this seafood than with what they received at the other restaurants we tried in Boston. Though the platter is for four, not everything comes evenly in four equal chunks since the content is measured by weight. Grab the big lobster claw if you can!

Pan-seared Giant Sea Scallops with asparagus and spinach:
Honestly, I was expecting no more than three or four scallops on an empty-looking plate. I was pleasantly surprised with what I got. The scallops were great in terms of texture. Jess ordered her scallops blackened (not really, but our waiter just couldn't remember that hers were also supposed to be pan-seared), and hers had more flavour.

The spinach was simply seasoned with large grain salt. I think it was sea salt. Nothing was really overly complicated on my plate, and I liked that I could really get to taste each individual item. I also liked the shower cap type thing on the lemon. It was pretty novel to me.

Mel ordered the San Francisco Cioppino. It was like a giant seafood stew, and you really have to be a monster to finish it. I found it to be very tasty from the forkfuls that I stole.

From our pre-meal glance at the dessert menu, Jess and I planned to save room for the peanut butter ice cream pie. So pleased with the seafood tower appetizer, Casey and Mel decided that they wanted more raw seafood while the other half of the table went the conventional route and stuck to sweets after the mains. Our waiter mentioned that upon putting our order in, the chef/kitchen staff thought there was a pregnant lady at our table. No pregnant lady, we just eat what we want whenever we want. He also mentioned that he never had to place oyster forks and dessert forks down at the same time before we came along. We're special.
The ice cream pie reminded me a bit of a fancy sundae - one that I had to share. The peanut butter taste wasn't overpowering and I was thrilled that there were no berries involved. Jess really liked this dessert. The weird part was eating this and smelling the raw oysters from Casey and Mel's side.

Damage for our table:

Yup, in that order.

This was my favourite Boston seafood place.

No comments:

Post a Comment