Sunday, July 19, 2009

Summer's

Summer's (101 Yorkville Avenue)


What's Summer without ice cream? Frozen yogurt, apparently. If I'm going to enjoy a frozen treat though, it's going to be with all the fat.

Here's another picture of my scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in a waffle cone ($3.95):
When I was handed my order, the waffle cone was warm. This was a good indicator of freshness. And it didn't get all soggy either. I marvelled at how the ice cream bulged slightly over some parts of the cone, but didn't start dripping down the sides and onto my hand. The cool weather might have had something to do with that, but I think it was also partly due to the texture of the ice cream. It was creamier than the ones from the grocery stores. My scoop had lots of chocolate chips and chocolate chunks, but not as many pieces of cookie dough. Overall, my first experience at Summer's was a good one!

I liked it enough to get another cone right after I finished the first one.

Chocolate Pecan Swirl:
Tasted a bit like coffee. Not bad, but I prefer the chocolate chip cookie dough. They also had exciting flavours such as chocolate orange and Toronto pothole, but I had filled my fatty snack quota for the day.

Jess quite liked her banana flavoured frozen yogurt, and Berta liked her chocolate fudge brownie scoop, but lamented that she wanted more chunks. She seemed to enjoy it anyway, and commented that she really likes the waffle cone. She also went back for more.

I like the sign inside the shop that tells me to "Count units of joy, not calories." As if I didn't already.

The (ghetto-looking) website states that the ice cream is "made by hand every day." I don't know what that means exactly, so I'll assume they operate an ice cream maker machine by hand every day. Maybe they're churning ice cream with their bare hands. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right.

Summer's might be pricier than many generic ice cream parlours, but with a Yorkville location, it's pretty much expected.

Total damage: $3.95 + $3.95 = $7.90.

Open from 12:00 to 12:00 daily in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment