Friday, July 17, 2009

Royal Teahouse

Royal Teahouse (10 Applecreek Boulevard, Markham)

Please excuse the lack of visuals. There wasn't an opportunity to paparazzi my food at this restaurant; however, I found this old picture on my phone of a fried dim sum bun from this place. It's shaped like a porcupine! I think an eye might be missing.
I actually wanted to order the porcupine shaped bun again, but I couldn't find it on the menu. It's probably still there. I probably just can't figure out the translation from Chinese to English.

The plain congee was plain. Really plain. Maybe some salt would've helped. I'm used to stuff laden with MSG that they serve at Congee Wong.

There was some sort of curry concoction served in a mini tart. It looked like an egg tart that was puffed up. I would've preferred that the tart crust held together better rather than have crumbs dancing down my face and falling off my chin. The crust actually started crumbling right when I picked it up.

I was kind of surprised at the egg yolk section inside the lotus paste bun. I found that the paste had the right texture and that the buns were quite tasty.

This restaurant seems to be a popular recommendation for good dim sum. I'd say it's pretty good. Mainly, I'm very amused by the porcupine bun.

Damage: none. Free for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment