Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Poutini's House of Poutine

Poutini's House of Poutine (1112 Queen Street West)
Twitter

Trying to find really good poutine in Toronto is like trying to find real Chinese food in Peru: maybe it exists but you're going to have to drive around for a while to find it.

Despite how much I eat poutine, I can't call myself a poutine expert. From what I understand though, squeaky cheese curds are good. If that's a must in your poutine, then I think Poutini is the place to go in Toronto. They also advertise hand-cut fries and real gravy.

It's one size fits all here, and that size is huge. From my thumb to the tips of my fingers, my hand can't even wrap around half of the circumference of the top of the cup. The cups and forks, by the way, can all go in the green bin. Bonus points for the sturdy forks. It's such a necessary item when digging into something this dense.
I'm pretty impressed with the squeakiness of the curds. The fries hold their own and they weren't burnt dark brown, but the gravy is a bit tasteless, hence the pepper I added seen in the pictures. I also wouldn't mind some seasoning on the fries, but maybe I'm just being picky now.

The first time I went, the gravy was a bit transparent (as seen above). According to the site, they were still working to perfect the recipe. The next time, the gravy was a lot thicker (as seen below). It seems as though they are taking note of the online comments and reviews. Or maybe the batch of gravy was just randomly thicker on the more recent visit.

The cheese melted more on my second visit. It seemed that the gravy was hotter than the first time around. Andrew mentioned that it'd be better if they layered the curds throughout the cup, since he prefers the melted cheese as opposed to the chunks. I found this on the site: If you love your cheese, double the order of curds and we’ll put them in the middle AND on top!" I guess all he had to do was ask.
The space isn't very big at all, and seats are limited to the three stools by the window. There are wooden counters that you can stand around to eat your food. It sounds ghetto, but it's not all that bad. Everything is pleasant, from the artwork on the walls to the music to the people that work there. They are extra pleasant.



So, is this really good poutine? Well, it's really good for Toronto.

Total damage: $7 for a poutine. I like how they priced it. It comes up to a whole number with tax. Yay! No chump change!

2 comments:

  1. I want poutine now. Looks so good. Hopefully their quality will stay consistent unlike Smoke's. I like the squeaky cheese curds, *drools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there's one thing you can count on there, it's probably the squeaky cheese curds. ;)

    ReplyDelete