Monday, February 16, 2009

Messis

Messis (97 Harbord Street, Toronto)
http://messis.ca/index.html
Crab cakes:

There were two, but one was consumed before picture taking. Normally comes with green cilantro sauce on it, but we asked for the sauce on the side due to picky eaters. They tasted pretty good with the sauce to me. Jess said they were a bit dry without sauce.

Cornish hen:
The skin of the meat was flavorful and quite crispy (in the good way). I later realized that some part of the seasoning of this dish scratched my throat a bit. I have no other way of explaining it. I preferred the hen to the vegetables it was served on.

Lamb shank:
Wow, that meat was moist and tender.

Amaretto crème brûlée:
Jess and Berta enjoyed the "eggy" taste, but Berta found the crusted top to be too thick. I couldn't taste much of the Amaretto, but I thought it was pretty good anyway.

Grand Marnier chocolate mousse cake with rasberry ice:
The "ice" was like sorbet, according to the waiter. I wouldn't know; I didn't eat any of it. Child seemed to really enjoy it though. The mousse was thicker than expected, but I liked the taste of the cake.

Cointreau cheesecake:
This was my favourite dessert. I didn't even mind eating around the berries. There was praise from Jess and Berta for it's bottom crust. I enjoyed the Cointreau and cheesecake flavours mixed together.

I didn't realize until after we ordered that all three of the desserts we ordered had alcohol.

Damage from the restaurant: $30 total for my hen and the split cost of desserts. Includes tax and tip. Calculations by Berta's phone.

We finished up with a bottle of 2007 Inniskillin Riesling. It was a bit on the dry side for me, but it seemed to please Jess, as she asked for seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment