Sunday, May 3, 2009

Montana

Montana Restaurant & Bar (145 John Street, Toronto)
http://www.montanaonline.ca/montanarestaurant.html

This restaurant has no affiliation with the Montana's chain. 

Pulled pork sandwich and caesar salad:
The croutons were stale, and some were even chewy. I don't remember the last time I spit out my food. Everybody who tried the sandwich agreed that it tasted just like the Chinese dim sum dish "cha siu bao" or "cha siu chaan bao", otherwise known as roast pork buns. The difference is that those can be purchased for a very cheap price, $1.50 per bun being on the pricey side. I thought the ciabatta bread was going to be toasted, but it wasn't. I didn't even get ciabatta bread. It tasted like a soft hamburger bun.

Simon and Jess both got steak, and they both thought it was too chewy. Someone from our table suggested that they might have used the wrong cut of meat. I tried a bite, and I didn't realize it was chipotle-flavoured until Jess told me it was supposed to be.

I asked Berta how her ribs were, and she gave me a one word response: "mediocre."

Renée's fish and chips were decent, and Dorothy seemed to enjoy her chicken fingers. Renée cheerfully commented about her food, "It's probably from frozen." Apparently the trick with this restaurant is to order something deep-fried. Though Josie found that her fries tasted "old."

Josie's pulled pork sandwich with fries:

Now that I look at the pictures, I realized that although me and Josie ordered the same sandwich, we were served different types of bread.

Total damage for my sandwich and salad: $15. That could buy a lot of cha siu baos.

No comments:

Post a Comment