Sunday, March 6, 2016

Pearl Diver

Pearl Diver (100 Adelaide Street East, Toronto)
416-366-7827
Hours:
Mon to Wed - Noon to Midnight
Thurs & Fri - Noon to 1 am
Sat - 4 pm to 1 am
Sun - 11 am to 12 am

Calamari ($9)
Crispy, well-seasoned, and included flecks of black and white sesame seeds. Sauce? I didn't really use it because well, I didn't really need it.

Oysters, plate three of three. 
We got the Thursday special which was 100 oysters for $100. Half were Fanny Bay and half were Malpeque. Because of the deal, they shuck them pretty much non-stop at the bar. Also appreciate the mini mound of freshly grated horseradish. 

Cured fish plate ($16)
As the plate was set down and explained, the octopus was presented as sturgeon, to which I raised an eyebrow but said nothing. He was unsure if he introduced the items correctly, and admitted as much, but the appearance of octopus is kind of distinctive. My friends didn't hear any of that anyway, as the restaurant is super loud. The mackerel was the most tasty for me, displaying a nice, smoky taste. The octopus was sort of whatever to me. The bread was warm, but in small supply. 

Fish & Chips ($18)
Yummy tartar sauce! Fish was crispy. Fries were shoestring, and very salty, even for me. I must have sodium deficiency, because somehow I couldn't stop eating them. Overall decent, but a little pricey for what it is. 

Mel also ordered the pearly chowder, which was quite hearty and chock full of chunks - in a good way. 

Would I return? Yes. The seafood bits are exciting. The service is good and friendly. Nothing tasted bland. The daily specials seem fun: mussel Mondays, Tuesday seafood circus, Thursday $100 for 100 oysters, and Sunday brunch. The only thing that was off for me was the volume of the noise, and the tall chairs we sat at. Two of the four of us wished/looked for purse hooks under the tables, but those two also happened to be the bag ladies of the day. 


Calamari photo by Andrea. Oyster photo by Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment