Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Phil's Original BBQ

Phil's Original BBQ (838 College Street, Toronto)

Right when I walked in this restaurant near the corner of Ossington and College, I immediately noted the smoky barbecue scent in the air. It smelled like meaty goodness.

Apparently this establishment was on the Food Network's Restaurant Makeover show. Frankly, I think that show does very little to help any of the places that appear on it. Redecorating and introducing three new dishes isn't enough to significantly improve business, in my opinion (influenced by Andrew). That being said, I have no idea what Phil's was like before it went on the show.

Out of the items on the simple one-sided menu, I went for the Pulled Pork plate ($15) with beans and potato salad.
The potato salad was kind of meh. If it was supposed to be the same as the one from the Salads section of the menu, it would have had horseradish dressing. I tasted none of this. The beans were okay; nothing to applaud or complain about there. My last experience with pulled pork from another restaurant was pretty terrible, so I had low expectations. This pulled pork wasn't bad. Only a couple larger chunks were dry, but most of the meat was sufficiently covered in sauce. The sauce had a slight vinegary taste to it.

Notes:
Service was pretty attentive, but there wasn't anybody else in the restaurant.

The lime that came with my 7Up ($2.25) had a lot of brown marks on the peel and the sides looked pretty dried up.

The food came really fast. It might have been faster than McDonald's at a busy hour.

I read reviews beforehand, and ribs and pulled pork seemed to be some of the safer options.

Total damage: $23.

No comments:

Post a Comment