Saturday, June 6, 2009

Keung Kee

Keung Kee (3300 Midland Avenue, Scarborough)

On most days, in the hours between lunch and dinner, many Chinese tea restaurants will have afternoon tea specials. These are usually dishes that are prepared quickly, and priced really low. They often include a coffee, tea, or milk tea, and cold drinks are generally fifty cents extra; however, at Keung Kee, you can have your choice of any drink.

So I picked a fancy iced red bean ice cream drink (number 87 on the afternoon tea menu):
The bottom is filled with sweet red beans, and the rest is made up of crushed ice, vanilla ice cream, and I think there's some milk in there too. It's a great summer drink. 

Satay beef with macaroni in soup (number 2 on the afternoon tea menu):
It tasted right, but the sauce had an unappealing mucous texture. I'm just going to assume that's from added cornstarch that's commonly used to thicken sauces. The beef wasn't overcooked, so that was good.

I had to take a picture of Chris's meal, which was crispy chicken in satay sauce on rice. The portion was just so massive. 

I liked my drink, but I would've been better off ordering a different food item. 

Damage for my soup macaroni and drink: $4.25 + tax + tip. 

1 comment: