Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Montreal Poutines


We went hunting for poutines in Montreal starting at about 4 am. We meant to try more, but we felt a bit ill by the fourth one. I guess we'll have to clear some arteries before clogging them up again.

La Banquise (994, Rachel Est)
Open 24 hours.
Lots of selection.
If anyone can tell me what the heck a "Poutine Chouxxx" is, that'd be great.
Server was pretty damn nice for that kind of early morning.


Poutine Classique grande:
Some of it was cold towards the edges of the dish, but it was warm in the centre.
Andrea and Sheila noted that the cheese was not "squeaky" enough for them. I still don't know what the heck they mean by "squeaky cheese."
We all enjoyed the gravy, which had a nice pepper taste to it.

Rapido (4494 rue Saint-Denis)
Open 24 hours.
No hot chocolate or soup at 5 am, but they do serve poutine and escargots at that time.

Andrea on the escargots: They taste like they're from a can.

The gravy was a bit orange for my likings, but it was what it was - a poutine. I think I enjoy large chunks of cheese in my poutine so long as the gravy is hot enough to melt it all into stringy gooey goodness.


Fameux viande fumée et charcuterie (rue St-Denis and av. du Mont-Royal E)
NOT open 24 hours. Opened at 5:30 am on a Wednesday.
They gave us breakfast menus, but we were confused and asked if they could give us poutine. We were overambitious in ordering two: one with viande fumée (smoked meat) and one regular.


The fries: damn fresh, hot and crispy. (That could describe the person I'm looking for, except for "crispy." I don't know what a crispy person is.) I think these were my favourite fries because they were golden yellow as opposed to brown.

After those poutines, we had to nap and we couldn't continue our eating for a couple of hours.

Next poutines to try: Patati Patata and Smoke's Poutinerie. Bring on the fatty goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment